57 Chibok Girls Who Escaped From Boko Haram Gain Admission Into American Schools

Share this:
Share

Some of the Chibok girls that escaped

The Centre for Promotion of Ethics, Values and National Integration (CENPEVNI), has said that it has secured admission for the 57 escaped Chibok school girls from a school in the United States of America (USA), through its collaboration with other groups.
The executive director of the group, and project coordinator, Rehabilitation and Reintegration Outreach Mission (RROM), Dr Mercy Sokomba, stated this in Abuja, at a one day Stakeholders Interactive Session on Effective Victim Support Strategies.

She said, offers for completion of education of the girls, inclusive of scholarship has been made to RROM through Stefanos Foundation and the international support groups of RROM.

“The reality of this particular offer is if the girls are ready for another form of separation from their parents. However, we have initiated discussions with some leadership of the Chibok community and at some point will meet with them and the parents for consent,” she stated.

Sokomba however said that they hope that the funds and support partnership will consistently get to RROM for project sustainability within scheduled time frame so as not to hinder the progress the outreach mission has made so far.
Commending the efforts of the federal government in the fight against insurgency, Sokomba prayed and pleaded for a quick resolution of the Boko Haram saga and safe return of the abducted Chibok girls and many other women and children abducted earlier or after the Chibok girls.

As stated by her, “The end of terrorism will bring an end to the loss of lives and properties.”

[em]These Chibok girls who don’t speak English fluently (some can’t even speak at all) got admission into American Schools? Like seriously?! I doubt![/em]

Share this:
Share
Continue Reading

Why Boko Haram Now Use Female Bombers, Police Explains

Share this:
Share

The Police Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, on Wednesday in Abuja stated.international terror organisations use female suicide bombers in attacks because they are less suspicious.

Mba, who spoke at the National Information Centre, stated.though unfortunate, the use of females in suicide attacks was not new.

“Established international terror organisations use female suicide bombers, the major reason is because women generally raise fewer suspicion.”

“If you have been following the trend of terrorism worldwide, you will understand that the use of a female suicide bomber is not new.”

“But, it is a new trend in our own part of the world,” he stated.

The force spokesperson, however, stated.a new counter-terrorism strategy was being developed to address the new trend in the country.

“We are developing counter-terrorism strategies to deal with that. By our rules of engagement and by our culture too, male security operatives generally are not allowed to search females.”

“You will see increase in female security personnel on roads and in other places where stop and search exercises are being carried out.”

“Nigerians should be prepared to see more female police officers, bomb disposal experts, DSS operatives and soldiers in combat operations,” he stated.

Mba appealed to parents and local government authorities across the country to support efforts to stamp out street hawking by young girls, particularly among minors.

Earlier, the coordinator of the centre, Mike Omeri, stated.the insurgents had resorted to using young girls because something went wrong with their strategy.

“This trend of using young people clearly shows that there is something wrong with the main recruitment arm of the insurgents.”

“Citizens are becoming more aware and so the tendency is to recruit those who do not know what they are doing, young people as young as 10 years.”

“Boko Haram is so deadly and this underscores the seriousness of the campaign that our country is engaging in order to flush out the insurgents,” he also stated.

Share this:
Share
Continue Reading

Dokubo Criticizes President Jonathan, Denies Involvement in the Blast

Share this:
Share

Speaking at a press briefing, the ex-militant criticised President Goodluck Jonathan for allegedly placing more value on Buhari’s life than that of other Nigerians.

The words which had so upset Asari Dokubo was the president’s assertion that the nation would have boiled if Buhari had died.
He has denied the reports that he had paid the mastermind of the blast N5m.

Dokubo, who denied working for President Jonathan also said that the insinuation was meant to tarnish his image as a way of shutting him out of 2015 electioneering process.

Speaking in Abuja on Tuesday, he insisted his stance that General Buhari has no good intentions for Nigeria as a result of the support he (Buhari) gets from foreign leaders and organizations aiming to destabilize the country.

He said: “I do not work for Jonathan. Whatthe President stated.was wrong. The life of Buhari is not more important than 87 people that died in that blast. It is unfortunate that the president made sucha statement. I wonder why the President will be promoting one person above that of other Nigerians.“

“That statement from the President was very unfortunate. I do have the capacity to tell the President to apologize, but I still insist that he should not have made such a statement.”

“Soon after the blast, a cross-gender person came out and was arrested. Even the mother of the person arrested stated.he was insane”.

On working for President Jonathan, Dokubo said, “Social media reports stated.I gave them N5 million to carry out the attack. These things are masterminded. The first one is against President Jonathan and the other is against me”
“I did not pay anybody to carry out any assassination attempt on Buhari. I do not have anything against him. He is not a threat. He will fail in 2015. For the records, I do not operate a Twitter ‎account and anyone saying I posted on twitter that there will be more attacks is only using my name.”

“They want to silence me because they know the role I will play in 2015. They have also sponsored reports in Benin Republic that I am the person financing Boko Haram.”

“Another islamic scholar also stated.I am the one sponsoring Boko Haram to destroy the north on behalf of President Jonathan.”

“The Deputy Minority Leader in the House of Representatives stated.I spoke on behalf of President Jonathan. That means Buhari is the commander-in-chief of Boko Haram in the north. His allies came out and made inflammatory statements during the 2011 elections.”

Dokubo stated.he can prove how Gen Buhari was being funded by the late Leader of Libya, Col. Muammar Gaddafi

Share this:
Share
Continue Reading

Dozens Killed in Fight to Control Army Base

Share this:
Share

Libyan forces yesterday battled Islamist militants with rockets and warplanes for the control of an army base in the eastern city of Benghazi, after at least 30 people were killed in overnight fighting.

Intense fighting in Benghazi, Libya’s second city, and battles between rival militias in the capital Tripoli have pushed Libya deeper into chaos after two weeks of the fiercest violence since the 2011 civil war ousted Muammar Gaddafi.

Foreign states followed the United States and UN in pulling diplomats out of the North African oil-producing state after clashes between two rival brigades of former anti-Gaddafi fighters closed Tripoli’s international airport.

A rocket hit a fuel depot near Tripoli airport two days ago, igniting a huge blaze that Libyan firefighters yesterday were battling to put out.

Italy’s government and Italian oil group ENI had agreed to help, the government said yesterday.

Share this:
Share
Continue Reading

President Jonathan’s N100m Largesse Tears Chibok Parents, Leaders Apart

Share this:
Share

The N100 million cash gift allegedly given to parents of abducted Chibok girls when they met President Goodluck Jonathan on July 22 at the Presidential Villa is now causing disquiet among the aggrieved parents.

They have reportedly cried out that they have been cheated by their community leaders in the sharing formula.

The Presidency allegedly handed over the money to leaders of the Chibok community in Abuja for onward presentation to parents of the abducted schoolgirls.

As stated by a report monitored on Hausa service of the British Broadcasting Corporation, BBC, however, some of the parents are now alleging that the Abuja-based community leaders have shortchanged them.

One parent, who was among those who visited the President, told BBC that he got only N200,000.

He said: “I got only N200,000 out of the said N100million allegedly received by our leaders in Abuja. Some of us got N300,000 and some less than that.”

He also said that he was not comfortable with the way the money was shared among parents of the kidnapped girls.

As stated by him: “Our leaders in Abuja are using the girls to enrich themselves. In fact, some of the parents were screened out of the entourage by the Chibok leaders in Abuja. Many of them are residents of Abuja, not parents of the kidnapped girls”.

Another parent, who was screened out of the delegation that visited the President, said he got only N7,000 out of the money shared.

“I was at the farm when they brought the N7, 000 to my house and I collected it. Some of us got even less, some got N300 and below,” he stated.

The parents stressed that they were not selling their daughters and that the money from the President just came to them as they neither asked for, nor expected it.

One of the community leaders, Pobu Bitrus, who is also a member of the House of Representatives and was at the meeting with the President explained to the BBC that after meeting with the President, monies were distributed to the parents in envelopes.

“After we met with the president, the parents were given monies in envelopes and that’s all. All other things they are saying about N100million, I don’t know about that,” Mr. Bitrus stated.

The Presidency has however denied giving N100 million to parents of the abducted school girls, who were at the Presidential Villa, Abuja last week, saying the story was absolutely false.

Share this:
Share
Continue Reading

Cameroon Rescues Wife of Vice Prime Minister Amadou Ali kidnapped by Boko Haram

Share this:
Share

Security operatives in Cameroon have rescued wife of Vice Prime Minister Amadou Ali who was kidnapped by the Boko Haram sect on Sunday along with a traditional ruler of Kolofata town, reports BBC Hausa Service.

The reports say that 16 people lost their lives in the rescue operations, although Cameroon information minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary stated.government was still investigating the matter to ascertain the actual number of people killed.

The Boko Haram members carry out attacks in northern part of Cameroon from Nigeria where they established their base in the Sambisa Forest.

Last week, a Cameroonian court sentenced 14 members of the sect to 20 years imprisonment after they were arrested with weapons in March around Marwa in northern Cameroon, says the BBC Hausa report.

A local religious leader and mayor, Seini Boukar Lamine, was also kidnapped in a separate attack on his home.

Three people were killed during the daring raid.

Boko Haram fighters clashed with the Cameroonian army in cross-border attacks twice since Friday, killing four soldiers.
Cameroon has deployed more than 1,000 soldiers along its border to help combat the Nigerian armed group.

Share this:
Share
Continue Reading

Chibok Girls: Rescue Operation Gets Tougher As Boko Haram Fortifies Sambisa With Mines, Snipers

Share this:
Share

Boko Haram insurgents currently holding 219 schoolgirls hostage in their hideout in Sambisa Forest, North East, have laced the vicinity with sophisticated landmines and posted snipers on tree tops to look out for intruders, thus preventing the military from rescuing the girls.

This disclosure was made yesterday in Abuja by the spokesman of the Nigeria Police, ACP Frank Mba, while briefing newsmen on some of the factors militating against the rescue operation.

However, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah, yesterday assured that the Federal Government would eradicate all forms of terrorism and violence in the country.

Mba, who spoke at the National Security Information Centre, Abuja, at the briefing presided over by the Director General of National Orientation Agency (NOA), Mike Omeri, added that another factor is the desire of the military to strictly observe the rules of engagement, reduce casualties among soldiers and bring back the girls alive.

He explained that the entire forest, especially areas occupied by the insurgents, were ringed with dangerous landmines and sharp-shooters who pick out approaching targets with ease even though the practice of using landmines has been banned by international laws.

“We are fighting what can be described as unconventional warfare. There are obvious challenges, since we are operating at unusual times and fighting unusual war,” he stated.

“The security agencies and the Nigerian military are guided by some rules of engagement which must be strictly obeyed. The insurgents, because they are criminals, do not observe any rules and do not operate within the confines of the law.”

“The Boko Haram insurgents are not regulated by any rules of engagement. So, they engage in acts that are clearly criminal and even their modus operandi are criminal. So, oftentimes, legitimate military forces are faced with challenges when dealing with such criminal situations. You will recall that the use of landmines has been clearly prohibited by international laws and the use of landmines in war theatres was banned. Most countries of the world have stopped using it. Nigeria is a signatory to that treaty but the criminal group uses landmines against the laws.”

“In the police, for example, because we are guided by laws, no matter how much we want to arm our policemen, we cannot turn them into soldiers or infantrymen. The weapons the police use must fit the establishment, because it is still the police force and not a military unit.”

Adding to the statement of the police officer, Omeri, assured Nigerians that the Federal Government has done everything necessary to properly equip its soldiers and stationed sufficient military personnel on the ground in the northeast to bring to a conclusive end the insurgency, apart from rescuing the Chibok girls.

He also disclosed that the military has intensified patrols, with local groups, around the communities near Chibok, following reports of renewed attacks on villages by Boko Haram insurgents.

Omeri assured that the government will never waiver in its commitment to protect citizens of the nation no matter how remote their communities may be located.

Minimah gave the assurance in a keynote address at the Armoured Vehicles West Africa Conference held in Abuja.

“The army, indeed the armed forces had taken adequate measures in collaborating with relevant government ministries, departments and agencies to stem the tide of insecurity and ensure public safety and human rights.”

“We have also partnered with these bodies to ensure the rule of law, in line with our constitutional roles.”

“One of these measures is the modernisation of equipment to enhance our operational capabilities in line with contemporary threats,” he stated.

Minimah stated.that these measures were complemented with improved training, enhanced troops welfare and relevant doctrinal review.

He stated.the measures would also regenerate the military force and strengthen their posture to deal with national and global security challenges.

“This conference is therefore important to us as it will afford us the opportunity to interact with a wide array of equipment experts to discuss trends of advancement of technology especially for armoured platform.”

“Our interactions over the next two days would enable us to gain strategic insight into innovation that could increase the mobility and survivability of our troops in both internal security and peace support operations.”

The army chief re-emphasised the importance of closer interface between the producers and end-users of defence and security related platforms and equipment.

He stated.this was critical because innovations in the defence and security continuum were driven by threat dynamics which in turn shaped the needs of each nation’s armed forces.

Minimah explained that this closer interface would bring about the ability to federate and incubate ideas that would not only boost confidence and engender deeper partnership between stakeholders, but would also speed up innovation and enterprise within the entire chain.

Share this:
Share
Continue Reading

Explosion Rocks Maiduguri Market

Share this:
Share

A car bomb exploded in a market in Nigeria’s northeastern city of Maiduguri on Tuesday morning, and dozens of people are feared dead, witnesses stated.

They immediately blamed Boko Haram, the Islamic extremist group whose birthplace is Maiduguri and which is accused of a series of recent bomb attacks in the West African nation.

Tuesday’s explosives were hidden under a load of charcoal in a pickup van, according to witnesses who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.

Trader Daba Musa Yobe, who works near the popular market, stated.the bomb went off just after the market opened at 8 a.m., before most traders or customers had arrived.

Other witnesses stated.they saw about 50 bodies, and that five cars and some tricycle taxis were set ablaze by the explosion.

They stated.the toll could have been worse but fewer than normal traders and customers were around because most people stay up late to eat during Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting from sunrise to sunset.

A security official at the scene confirmed the blast, saying many casualties are feared. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not permitted to speak to the press.

Share this:
Share
Continue Reading

54 Dead in Boko Haram Attack on Churches in Villages Near Chibok- Official

Share this:
Share

m;’>

More than 50 people were killed in the latest attack blamed on Boko Haram Islamists which targeted churches in Nigeria’s embattled northeast, a Borno state government official stated.Monday.

“So far we have 54 dead,” stated.the official, who requested anonymity, of the raid on four villages just outside Chibok, where Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls in April.

A local leader in Chibok, who also asked that his name be withheld, stated.residents had discovered at least 47 bodies in the surrounding bushland, but stated.the search was ongoing and figures were still being collated.

Share this:
Share
Continue Reading